Shankhpushpi – All In One And One In All Plant – Herb Boost In Nature
SHANKHPUSHPI – The Flower Of Wellness
“Shield Your Body From Harmful Viruses and Boost Your Immunity”
Shankhpushpi is a nutritive multipurpose forage legume of the tropics.
Botanical name: Clitoria Ternatea & Blue butterfly Pea Flower
Meanings of Shankhpushpi:
Aparajitha – (one who is never defeated)
Gokarna – (shape of cow’s ear)
Saukarnika – (Good-natured)
Nilkanth – (favorite flower of Shiva)
Sangu poo – (shape of a conch)
– Blue flowers
– White flowers
What are the Health Benefits of Shankhpushpi?
The Goodness of the Blue tea of this flower in building up a strong immune system:
There are multiple ways to boost and strengthen your immune system. One such effective way is to take in the goodness of herbal teas.
Immunity-boosting teas are very easy to make and are loaded with all essential vitamins that aid in building up a strong immune system to combat all infections.
Prepared by steeping the vibrant indigo flowers of the Clitoria ternatea plant in boiling water, blue tea bestows umpteen wellness incentives for a fit body and a sound mind.
Also popularly known as butterfly pea flower tea, this herbal concoction is blessed with a multitude of potent antioxidants like polyphenols, tannins, catechins, as well as immense valuable phytonutrients, that display tremendous memory boosting, antihyperlipidemic, antihyperglycemic, and analgesic characteristics.
The “Majestic Herb” Shankhpushpi
It is a ‘Heavenly plant’ brought to earth by Guru Shukkrachariar.
Why Shankhpushpi considered Heavenly plant?
- It attracts the power of tolerance.
- Aparajitha means one who is never defeated. It is synonymous with Sakthi. So it is a favorite flower of Lord Shiva and Durga and is also one of the 5 flowers that Lord Ganesha loves.
- Vedas also Shakhpushi for Shivaratri to attract the power of tolerance by a deity.
- In Astrological science, Sani Graha Aradhana with blue Shankhpushi lessens the intensity of Shanishchara it seems.
How Ayurveda Uses Shankhpushpi to Energise Yourself Naturally?
Vedic texts describe the energies within plants and how to use them as medicines. Each herb embodies energies or vibrations that match the vibration or energy in the human body.
So in Ayurvedic medicine, Shnkhpushpi has been consumed for centuries as a
- Brain Tonic and Nerve Tonic
- Anti Stress &
How Thousand of Years of Tradition Speaks for Itself?
The roots of the white Shankhpushpi are tied as an amulet or charm around the waist of pregnant women for about 7 days before the scheduled delivery date. How this root facilitates normal delivery is beyond explanation by western science – but the fact that the tradition has persisted for thousands of years speaks for itself.
What is Shankhpushpi gifted with?
It is gifted with:
- Phenolic compounds
- Acetylcholine. etc…
Do you know this herb will surely be helpful when you are:
- Stressed and feeling low
- Hit with an anxiety disorder
- Have problems in conceiving
- Stressed eyes with too much exposure to screen and light
- Very early greying of hair
- Want to rejuvenate your dull skin
- Have a problem of hair loss, thinning of hair and early baldness.
The Immunity Boosting Actions on Different Systems – The Need of the Hour:
It works on all systems in our body
- It acts as an antiemetic and improves digestion.
- The Diuretic nature of Shankhpushpi helps in healing Dysuria.
- The Haemostatic nature, controls uterus bleeding when the flower powder is taken daily.
- Its spermatogenic nature aids in normal sperm production and helpful in increasing sperm count.
- It is Anti-asthmatic and also helps to treat cough, cold, and various respiratory ailments.
- The hemostatic property of the Shankhpushpi herb helps to control bleeding and also acts as a blood purifier.
- Its anti-lipidemic nature decreases cholesterol in the blood and has a healthy heart.
Central Nervous system:
- It is a Nervine as it contains the brain tonic and nerve tonic.
- It is Nootropic, so it helps in memory retention and brightens intellect.
- As it is a memory enhancer, it is useful to treat Alzheimer’s and is an Anticonvulsant and Antidepressant also.
- The flower has a tranquilizing effect on the brain.
- Shankhpushpi enhances the beauty and nourishes the layers of the skin and Improves complexion. It promotes younger skin by protecting the skin against UV Rays.
- Extract from the root is also used to treat Leucoderma.
- The juice of the fresh leaves of Shankhpushpi mixed with Ginger juice can be used to control excessive sweating.
- In addition to the flowers, roots, and leaves, the seeds also have medicinal value. They are fried in ghee, powdered and consumed with hot water for skin diseases.
- It is also used in the treatment of hair loss and helps in preventing early greying of hair.
- The Anti-Arthritic nature of Shankhpushpi helps in Arthritis as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- The leaf extract is comparable to diclofenac sodium and helps to alleviate swelling and pain.
- It is Anti-Diabetic – it can be used in the war against Diabetes.
- Ongoing Human trials show the leaf and root extract of the Shankhpushpi plant lower the blood glucose levels and the Plasma glucose levels were also suppressed by inhibiting glucose intake from diet.
- It reduces hyperthyroid.
Other therapeutic uses:
- Shankhpushpi plant is used in the treatment for Piles.
- Piles are cleaned with the decoction and the paste of the whole plant is applied over it.
- Nasal drops are made from the leaves of the Shankhapushpi relieves headaches and migraines.
- The presence of Flavonoids has an impact on cancer cells. So it is anti-cancerous also.
- For vertigo – As it has a tranquilizing effect on the brain, it is used in vertigo.
- Because of Shankhpushpi’s overall cooling effect on the body, it is so useful during fever.
- Its antipyretic nature is comparable to Paracetamol.
- The Anti-Inflammatory property of the leaf extract of Shankhpushpi is comparable with Diclofenac Sodium.
- It has Antimicrobial and Anthelmintic property also. The root extract act as an inhibitor for mold and fungus growth.
- It is a good Anti-Oxidant and also has Anti-HIV property.
- Teething troubles of infants can be reduced with the decoction of flowers
- In Reiki, it is said,
“Say no to Negative energy” with this spiritual plant as the Shankhpushpi energizes and cleanses the space.
- In Reiki meditation, they connect with the essence of Shankhpushpi herb to invite the energy of purification.
As Shankhpushpi Supreme gives “Invincible Aura” to the house which extends to its inhabitants as well, it is grown in the house to generate positive vibes.
- Used as a food colorant in consumer products.
- To Color alcoholic Gins, tea, desserts and clothes.
- To increase the polyphenolic and antioxidant content of sponge cakes.
- It reduces the predicted glycemic index of flour.
- A series of in vitro studies on the effect of Shankhpushpi on carbohydrate Enzymes proved that it inhibits intestinal glucose absorption. So the studies say that it could be used for developing plant-based food for treatment and prevention of Diabetes.
On Cardiovascular Health:
- In one study, Shankhpushpi seeds and root extract were found to reduce triglycerides and the root extract was able to reduce total cholesterol shows that it has some positive effect on cardiovascular health.
- A study suggested that the antipyretic effect of Shankhpushpi is comparable to that of Paracetamol.
- In one mouse study, the Shankhpushpi was proved to be as effective as an Asthmatic drug in the market.
Blog Disclaimer: This disclaimer informs readers that the views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the Blog section belong solely to the author who are independent writers and not necessarily to Harmony Nutraceuticals or Harmony Veda. Our writers are not employed or related to us in any way. The Blog provides an opportunity for authors to express their own views and opinions on Ayurveda, various health topics and supplements.