Showing all 4 results
Thyroid – The Dictator:
A butterfly-shaped gland in the neck i.e just above the collarbone is called the thyroid. It makes hormones and is one of the endocrine glands present in the body. In our body, the thyroid gland controls the rate of most of the activities. But sometimes thyroid disorders start and these disorders affect the thyroid gland.
The thyroid dictates how energy is utilized from the food that is ingested by the body. This metabolic activity alters,
- Pulse rate
- Burning of calories
- Body temperature, etc.
There are many other diseases that influence the body because of the poor performance of the thyroid gland. At times autoimmune disorders set in and here the body’s immune system wages a war against the thyroid ruining its functioning with time.
The Functions of Thyroid hormones:
Thyroids hormones have two major effects on the body.
- To increase basal metabolic rate.
- To stimulate growth in children.
There are 5 different types, i.e
- Hypothyroidism – Decreased secretions of Thyroid hormones is called Hypothyroidism.
- Hyperthyroidism – Increased secretion of thyroid hormones is called Hyperthyroidism.
- Thyroid nodules, and
- Thyroid Cancer
There is no quick fix here:
As the thyroid is a very important gland in the body its adequate functioning requires a proper medicine and diet plan taken over a considerable period of time.
Thyroid & Ayurveda:
- According to Ayurveda, the Thyroid is linked most with the increase of Vata and Kapha dosha in the body.
- The vata dosha possesses the qualities of air.
- The Kapha dosha possesses the qualities of earth and water.
- The imbalance of these doshas in the body leads to the thyroid.
Ayurveda believes in controlling the thyroid by balancing the energies of the body and correcting the circulation of the thyroxine hormone in the body.
There are two ways of balancing doshas.
- Internal medicine and
- By doing shodhana in the form of panchakarma.
This is a detoxification process where the excess doshas are removed from the body and the necessary ones are purified.
Classical Herbal Medicines & Ayurvedic Thyroid Treatment:
Herbs are nature’s best gifts to us in order to manage a healthy body in a natural way. Ayurvedic medicines are prepared with these herbs and hence a great option to cure any disorder.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Thyroid Problems:
Ashwagandha, Punarnava, Brahmi, Trikatu, Shilajit, and Triphala are great herbs that help restore thyroid health.
The drug Shilajit with Triphala is mentioned in Charaka Samhita for the management of Tridosha Shotha (edema), which is one of the common manifestations of Hypothyroidism.
Other Classical Herbal Medicines for Ayurvedic Thyroid Treatment:
- Kachnaar (Bauhinia Variegata)
- Chanderprabha Vatti – (powerful Ayurvedic tonic made with HARITAKI, TWAK BARK(CINNAMON), KALMEGH LEAF, PATRA AERIAL, CHITRAKA ROOT, MUSLA ROOT, BIBHITAKI, PIPPALI MOOLA ROOT, SHATHI RHIZOME, AMALAKI, DARU HARIDRA, SHAILAJIT, VIDANGA FRUIT, HARIDRA RHIZOME, GUGGUL RESIN, CHAVYA STEM, DEVADARU BARK, SHUNTHI RHIZOME, TRIVRIT, MARICH FRUIT, DANTI, PIPPALI FRUIT, VANSHLOCHAN AERIAL, DANIYAKA SEED, ELA SEED)
- Liquorice (Glychrrizia glabra),
- Gotukola (Centella Asiatica)( Centella Asiatica, commonly known as Gotukola, is an excellent herb for managing the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. This herb is good to maintain a healthy thyroid).
- Guggul (Commiphora Mukul):(This guggulipid has been used in Ayurvedic medicines for 3000 years. This extract is helpful in the treatment of Hypothyroidism by balancing the Vata dosha of the body).
- Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum), Kalonji (Nigella sativa) Ajwain (Trachyspermum Ammi),
As weight loss is one of the warning signs, Ayurvedic medicine made by the combination of herbs is helpful in treating Hyperthyroidism and helps in gaining weight naturally.
Herbs used in Weight gain:
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Vidanaga (Embeliaribes), Pippali (Piper longum), Jeerak (Cuminum cyminum) helps in gaining weight naturally.
Dietary changes- Proper diet followed by an Ayurvedic expert helps in early recovery. In Ayurvedic terms, one should not take “Kapha vardhak aahar vihar”. This means that you should avoid the diet and lifestyle that can increase the Kapha in your body.
Yoga – Yoga is said to be a natural healer for many ailments. A daily Yoga session for even 20 minutes keeps an Individual healthy, fit and fresh all day long. Most Importantly it keeps a person disease-free. Special Yoga for Thyroid strengthens the nervous system.
Meditation- Stress is all released by practicing Meditation. Through Meditation all the negativity is washed out and when a person is all positive they are always healthy.
The natural remedies available in your kitchen:
If you are trying to control your thyroid levels, just grab some Triphala, methi, ginger, or aloe vera. Little do people know that these ingredients can really help thyroid patients. Try consuming fresh aloe vera or aloe vera juice. It really helps in pacifying and balancing both vata and Kapha in the body.