Showing all 11 results
Immune System Support
The most important concept explained in Ayurveda under multiple topics is Immunity. The concept of immunity relates to the body’s natural ability to fight diseases. Immunity gives our bodies the ability to resist diseases and fight pathogens.
Bala or the concept of strength, explains the ability of the system to repair and nourish itself and be effective in disease prevention, and is a product of the overall balance of body functions, tissues, digestion, and elimination,
Vyadhi Kshamathwa or the concept of resistance to illness development is the ability of the immune system to fight against the disease-causing pathogens and recovery after coming in contact with pathogenic organisms.
Ojas or the concept of supreme resilience explains the direct correlation between digestion and immunity.
The preventive aspect of our immunity function is majorly related to our digestive system.
Balanced doshas or bio-energies, through cleansing, are also essential for a proper resistance to illness. For a truly holistic concept of immunity, we should bring together the understanding of all three concepts mentioned in Ayurveda above and see it as a product of homeostasis and balanced metabolism.
Factors that help augment immunity in Ayurveda:
- A well-balanced diet (with all six tastes and qualities balanced), based on one’s dosha,
- A regular yoga practice,
- Including a variety of spices into the daily dietary routine. Most spices are high in their oxygen radical absorbance capacity, and reduce cell damage and maintain the integrity,
- Regular detox plans like fasting or a proper panchakarma cleanse, once a year,
- Consumption of Rasayana herbs like Ashwagandha and Amla,
- Ayurvedic treatments like Navara Kizhi and Pizhichil.
Ayurvedic remedies for improving immunity:
- Start the day with Tulsi, Pippali (fruit of long pepper), and ginger tea to strengthen and cleanse the upper respiratory tract.
- Use Turmeric and Black pepper in the meals daily, to boost immunity and reduce ama (toxins). Turmeric (Curcuma longa)- helpful in improving metabolism and boosting immunity and ensures the nourishment of tissues to strengthen the body.
- Taking Amla juice and Ved prash regularly will supply extra antioxidants and will strengthen immunity.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an immune booster and helps fight viruses and other pathogens, reducing stress levels and helps to improve vigor, body strength.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), also known as Giloy helps to maintain all the three Doshas, manage respiratory conditions, and improves digestion, thus helping to strengthen the digestive fire.
- Draksha (Vitis vinifera) or grapes helps to calm the mind, manage respiratory problems and improves digestive strength.
- Staying well hydrated will keep the throat and mucous membrane moist, supporting its action as a good barrier to all microbes.
- Always maintain good personal hygiene, eat seasonal fruits and vegetables and be stress-free.
This interconnected understanding of digestion, mind, and immunity in Ayurveda helps us develop natural remedies that influence all three positively.