Health Benefits, Medicinal Properties and Uses of Papaya Leaves and Fruits
Papaya, botanical name Carica papaya, is a tropical fruit, often seen in orange-red, yellow-green and yellow-orange hues, with a rich orange pulp.
It is known as “Erandakarkati” in Ayurveda, is a low calorie juicy fruit rich in vitamin C and A. The fruit as well as other parts of the plant are edible and known to have medicinal properties.
What are the synonyms of Papaya?
Carica papaya, Madhukarkati, Gopalakarkati, Papeyaa, Pappiyaa, Melon tree, Pawpaw, Erandakaakadi, Papaiyu, Papita, Papitaa, Pirangi, Pappaay, Karmaasu, Karumatti, Papaayaa, Papai, Erandakharbujaa, Pappali, Boppayi, Bobbaasi, Paringi making it a nutraceutical plant.
What makes it a nutraceutical plant?
The fruit is not just delicious and healthy, but whole plant parts, fruit, leaves, roots, bark, peel, seeds and pulp are also known to have medicinal properties.
The many benefits of papaya are due to high content of Vitamins A, B and C, proteolytic enzymes like papain and chymopapain which have antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
Carica papaya can be used for treatment of a numerous diseases like,
- cutaneous tubercles,
- glandular tumors,
- blood pressure,
- general debility,
- expel worms and
- stimulate reproductive organs and many.
Having a wide range of pharmacological activities, the whole plant has its own medicinal value. The wide range of enzymes, vitamins present in Carica papaya makes it a nutraceutical plant.
What Makes Papaya a Medicinal Plant?
There is increasing evidence that activity may be attributable to
- Benzyl isothiocyanate (BITC) – in the case of anthelmintic and abortifacient action.
- Protease papain, and possibly chymopapain- in relation to wound repair.
- This plant contains a variety of active compounds such as α-tocopherol, flavonoids, ascorbic acid, phenolic acids, glucosinolates, and cyanogenic glycosides.
The location of these compounds in papaya tissues is likely to explain why different tissues are used for different ailments.
Seeds, young leaves, and latex are good sources of BITC and are consequently used as a curative for intestinal worms.
Numberless benefits Of Papaya leaf:
Papaya leaves, however, bear more significance in the world of healthcare, since these contain various health-boosting compounds that are loaded with significant therapeutic potential.
Papain and chymopapain are two main ingredients found in the papaya leaf extract, that are known for their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, wound healing, immune-modulatory as well as overall healing properties.
– Dengue Fever:
In Ayurveda, the juice of Papaya leaves is known to inhibit the growth of the dengue virus. It has been proved that papaya leaf juice helps increase.
- white blood cells and platelets
- normalize clotting and
- repair the liver.
– Cancer Cell Growth Inhibition
- In the case of chemo-induced thrombocytopenia, the papaya leaf extract is gaining increasing popularity. The consumption of fresh papaya leaf juice significantly accelerates the production of platelets in our body, and therefore, speeds up the recovery process.
- Recent research on papaya leaf tea extract has demonstrated cancer cell growth inhibition.
- It appears to boost the production of key signaling molecules called Th1-type cytokines, which help regulate the immune system.
– Antimalarial and Antiplasmodial Activity:
Papaya leaves are made into tea as a treatment for malaria.
– Facilitate Digestion:
The leaves of the papaya plants contain chemical compounds of karpain, a Substance that kills microorganisms that often interfere with the digestive function.
– On hair and skin:
Rich in Antioxidants: A wonder ingredient, which serves as the best source of Vitamins A and C, Papaya Leaf enhances even the quality of your hair and skin.
– Boosts Immune System:
Enhance body’s immunity: Papaya leaves contain phenolic compounds, papain, and alkaloids, and these nutrients act as strong antioxidants which, in turn, enhance the body’s immunity. When consumed daily, it helps indigestion. The presence of rich enzymes improves digestion and helps in regular bowel movement.
Additional Benefits of Papaya Leaves are:
- As an acne medicine,
- Increase appetite,
- Ease menstrual pain,
- Meat tenderizer, and
- Relieve nausea.
There is no wonder as to why this particular extract has been used in various traditional systems of medications, including the Ayurveda, for centuries together.
How To Use Papaya?
Papaya Churna, Papaya Juice, Papaya Tablet, Papaya Capsule, and Papaya Candy
– Papaya Ripe Fruit
- Eat Papaya fruit according to your taste and requirement.
– Papaya Leaf Churna
- Take ¼- ½ teaspoon Papaya leaf churna.
- Mix with 1-2 teaspoon honey.
- Have it after lunch and dinner.
– Papaya (Leaf) Juice
- Take 5-6 teaspoons of Papaya Juice.
- Take it preferably on an empty stomach in the morning.
– Papaya Tablets
- Take 1-2 tablets of Papaya.
- Swallow them with water preferably after meals.
– Papaya Capsules
- Take 1-2 capsules of Papaya.
- Swallow them with water preferably after meals. (Get Papaya Ayurveda Capsules Here)
Advice from Experts:
If you’re allergic to papaya, you should not consume papaya leaves in any form. Moreover, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should consult your healthcare provider prior to consuming any papaya leaf preparations.
Excessive consumption of Papaya must be avoided as it may cause flatulence and loose motions. Papaya latex might also cause irritation and blistering on the skin, due to which hypersensitive people are generally advised to consult a doctor before taking it.
Although papaya leaf itself is generally considered safe for most people, it’s important that you only choose the highest quality products if you’re purchasing it in supplement form.
Blog Disclaimer: This disclaimer informs readers that the views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the Blog section belong solely to the author who are independent writers and not necessarily to Harmony Nutraceuticals or Harmony Veda. Our writers are not employed or related to us in any way. The Blog provides an opportunity for authors to express their own views and opinions on Ayurveda, various health topics and supplements.